If I had to count how many times people have told me to “chill”, “relax”, or “calm down” I think my brain would explode. I’m enthusiastic, anxious, and loud. I do not chill, relax, or calm down, ever (unless I’m getting my yoga on). I sit in class and shake my legs or fidget with my jewelry. I cannot sit still (and yes I’m also a hypochondriac so I’ve self-diagnosed myself with ADHD). I am quirky, weird, and blunt. I have zero chill. Here is what it is like to be a person with “no chill”:
- I am the one everyone is shushing at movies, plays, shows, etc. Just because others are quiet does not mean I will be. If I have something to say, I will say it, or else I will likely forget and everything I have to say is so important, so I must say it NOW! (It is most likely my irrelevant opinion or obscure observation on something that is completely off-topic. Just act like you care).
- “Avery what are you doing?” “Avery staahhhhppp doing that” “Avery. Breathe.” – things I hear quite often.
- Somehow I’m always the one wiping out, knocking the popcorn out of the old man’s hands, etc. If you’re ever with me and you hear a really loud noise, I probably just hit my head and cracked the wall. It’s totally fine though.
- ***people pretending they don’t know me***
- I am always the first, only, longest, or loudest laugh (or all of the above).
- I literally lose it when I’m even slightly frustrated, excited, sad, etc. Hey, they always told us that being expressive is a good thing!
- Don’t even question me, just go along with it.
- I will tell you my opinion even if you don’t want to hear it. If you’re wearing army pants and flip flops and I’m not the biggest fan of army pants and flip flops (Mean Girls reference for the older folk), I’ll tell you without hesitation.
- My brain is going, like, a bazillion miles an hour because I’m thinking about everything that there is to think about, including the amazing greasy pizza I had like 4 hours ago.
- If I’m laughing/screaming/anything of an excited state via technology, I will notify you by responding IN ALLLLLL CAPSSSSSS (caps lock and I are practically BFFS)
- I’m just slightly neurotic in emergency situations. Slightly. Just hand me a paper bag and some water and I’ll be golden! 🙂 🙂 🙂
- If you are my friend and we have a class together and we make eye contact, you will be greeted with an infamous Avery ugly face. I’m talented at the double-chin, the awkward half smile.. okay you get it.
- If there is music, I will dance. And sing. I will even do this if there isn’t music. I will even do this in Target. The world is my stage, haha.
- If the scale is 1-10 I’m always an 11.
All I ask is that you accept us no-chillers for who we are. As Selena Gomez once said, “I’m no beauty queen, I’m just beautiful me.” (totally not humming now or anything).